Monday, November 26, 2012

Part 2. My Road to Ironman: Surgery Loomed


6 Months to go.  December 5th I followed up with the orthopedic surgeon who again blindly reported ‘your shoulder will heal with more time’.  I tried to ask him specific questions about timeline, callous formation, and muscular imbalances but he was more worried about how long I could afford to be off work.  In my opinion, that was really none of his business.  After discussing concerns with my husband, we decided to get a second opinion.  Dec 13th revealed the truth.  The second doctor immediately ordered an axial view x-ray stating that when the fracture is so close to the AC joint the only way to visualize it accurately is with an axial view.  Once the correct x-ray was taken, it was very obvious that the bones were not even close to being lined up.  Surgery loomed and Ironman was most certainly out of the question.  Surgery on December 23rd was planned for an hour and a half, but ended up taking 3 hours.  My husband nervously waiting got the news that my clavicle was in so many pieces that it was like ‘putting a puzzle back together’.  A 4 inch titanium plate and 12 bone screws later, I was on my way home with a nerve block and Oxycontin as my Christmas presents.  The next two weeks were a blur.   My January 3rd follow up appointment was encouraging.  The surgeon cleared me to start working out as long as I did not use my arm.  Life was starting to look up again and thoughts of Ironman crept back into my mind.  Could I really do it?  It’s already January and the odds that I can get fit enough with modified workouts to make Ironman safe and feasible was a long shot, but what the hell.  I have time, energy, and nothing to lose.

Sitting has never served me well.  To rest and ask for help proved maddening. Reading, English Premier League Soccer, and Angry Birds were my new past times.  My husband would get home from work and I wanted to talk.  Talk about anything and everything.  After a few weeks I could tell my newfound social desire was driving him crazy, but I didn’t really care.  My job is very social and being off on medical leave for 4 months, I just needed to talk.  This change was tough, but my husband understood and humored me.  Bless his heart.

 5 months to go.
At my doctor’s appointment February 2nd, I was cleared to run and start exercising my arm more aggressively.  My surgeon told me “if you don’t get your range of motion back in two weeks I will be surprised and disappointed”.  I was stoked to run, but it felt so weird.  My sports bra rubbed in just the wrong spot and my arm motion was not good enough to get normal arm swing.  I started stretching my arm 6 times a day, which hurt like crazy but low and behold my arm started to loosen up.  Within a week I was back to running.  Thank goodness I kept my cardio up on the bike and elliptical so the transition back to running wasn’t too tough.  I also discovered spin class.  Mentally I could not overcome the boredom of the bike trainer.  Lady Gaga and Real Housewives only went so far.  That’s when I discovered spin class; an amazing invention.  Spin bikes are made more like road bikes.  They are smooth and have easily adjustable resistance.  Partner that with top 40 music and a way too enthusiastic instructor and you get a great workout.  The first few classes I could not hold onto the bars for the whole workout because my shoulder would start to ache, but that was the beauty of cycling indoors, you can sit up without crashing.  Just a minor adjustment made a huge difference in my motivation for training. 

Alright, so lets think about this for a minute.  I can run.  I can bike.  Slowly the Ironman training book made it’s way back to our coffee table...

Stay posted for Part 3:  My Road to Ironman.  Ambitious Nature  

No comments:

Post a Comment